Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Louisiana Family Independence Temporary Assistance Program (FITAP): How to Apply

Find an Attorney

It is always in your best interest to speak with an attorney about your case. If you cannot afford an attorney, a legal aid organization may be able to represent you for free or at reduced cost. However, certain restrictions apply and they may not be able to take your case. You may also qualify for reduced-cost legal services through the LSBA's Modest Means Directory. You also have a right to represent yourself, and there are diverse services available to help you learn more.

Find attorneys and services in your area.

The Application can be found on the DCFS website

You must then return the completed application to your DCFS office.


What do I do if I am denied?

If you believe the decision on your application was wrong or was made too slowly, then you may ask for a  fair hearing. The parish office will present the evidence on which its decision was made, and you will be expected to present evidence to  support your claim at the hearing. The fair hearing judge will then  determine whether you are entitled to your claim.

If  you wish to request a fair hearing, you should follow the instructions  on the back of the notice you receive from the agency or contact the  local office. Requests for fair hearings are mailed to the Appeals Division, P. O. Box 2944, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70821. The request must  be made within 30 days after the local office decision.

If  you believe that you have been discriminated against because of race,  color, national origin, sex, age, or disability, or on the basis of  religion or political beliefs, it is your right to file a complaint either through your local Economic Stability office or directly to  the Economic Stability Division office, or to the Federal Government. If  you wish to file such a complaint, you may get the complaint form from your parish Economic Stability office.



The Legal Education and Assistance Program (LEAP) is a project sponsored by the Louisiana State Bar Association, with the support of the Louisiana Library Association, the Law Library of Louisiana, LSU Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Southeast Louisiana Legal Services, and Acadiana Legal Services. LEAP aims to provide support and assistance to public librarians throughout the state by providing them with the tools to help their patrons with their legal questions. LEAP understands that librarians are prohibited from providing legal advice, but instead helps them provide legal information, including referrals to attorneys.