Skip to Main Content

Gulf Coast Immigration Information Center

This page contains information for those seeking to represent themselves in their cases and/or lawyers seeking to represent clients in immigration cases.

  • "How to defend your own case/Como defender su propio caso" (The Florence Project - Español + English): This webpage provides a collection of materials designed to help you represent yourself in United States Immigration Court. The page covers removal proceedings, how to pay bond, how to request release from custody, and other topics for immigrants who are facing the threat of deportation.  
  • "Immigration Justice" (American Immigration Lawyers Association, American Immigration Council, and American Bar Association - English): This site is a portal to coordinate the efforts of volunteer lawyers helping immigrants in response to President Trump’s Executive Orders altering our immigration system. It includes several procedural guides as well as forms and templates. It also includes information on the basics of legal research. 
  • "Immi" (Immigrant Advocates Network and ProBono.Net - Español + English): The page provides information on immigration law, developments related to immigration law, and a tool to help individuals better understand their legal options.

Am I eligible for a visa?

Before entering the country, noncitizens typically must first obtain a visa from the United States. The visa is usually placed in the traveler’s passport. Certain international travelers may be eligible to travel to the United States without a visa if they meet the requirements for visa-free travel.

The United States Department of State maintains a directory of visa types at

For information about a pending visa application, applying for citizenship, and other frequently asked questions, visit the USCIS website at


All the information on these websites and documents are meant to provide useful basic information about immigration law and detention. Please note that many of these resources originate from other jurisdictions and that the law in those jurisdictions may vary from that of the jurisdiction of your case. Under no circumstances do these resources constitute legal advice. It is always in your best interest to consult with an attorney competent in the area of law applicable to your case.