There are several types of state-issued ID cards. The most common of these cards include a state ID card, the class E driver’s license, and a commercial driver’s license (CDL). This guide focuses on the use, cost, and ways to obtain each of these ID cards.
What this libguide can do:
- Provide basic information about a driver's license and other identification in Louisiana;
- Provide basic information on the process of obtaining a driver's license; and
- Provide resources for additonal information and services.
What this libguide cannot do:
- Provide a full and complete guide to obtaining a driver's license;
- Replace the normal application process; or
- Replace the advice of an attorney.
Obtaining a driver's license is a common legal issue and does not require a lawyer.
The guide is meant to help someone who is not represented by a lawyer understand the general rules and application process of for a driver's license. It is not a complete guide to the law nor does it discuss every issue or aspect of the law that may affect your case.This information is not meant to replace State laws or Court Rules. The purpose of this guide is to give general information and make it easier for you to obtain a license if you qualify.
The information in this guide is intended to provide the user with general information and not legal advice. While we strive to include the most recent information, some items may change between updating periods. For additional resources and/or to find referrals to free or low-cost attorneys, please visit the Law Library of Louisiana's guide for self-represented litigants.