Medicaid provides medical benefits to low-income individuals and families. Although the federal government establishes the general rules for Medicaid, specific requirements are established by each state. In Louisiana, over a million residents receive health care coverage through Medicaid, most of whom are children under 19. The Louisiana Medicaid Program operates within the state Department of Health and Hospitals.This LibGuide will provide:
- basic information about Medicaid in Louisiana;
- basic information on the process of applying for Medicaid; and
- resources for additional information and services.
What this libguide cannot do:
- provide a full and complete guide to Medicaid; or
- Replace the advice of an attorney.
Applying for Medicaid or appealing a Medicaid rejection is a common legal issue and does not always require a lawyer. Some people can apply or appeal without professional assistance. The purpose of this guide is to give general information, and make it easier to apply or appeal.
This libguide is still in development and the information is not guaranteed to be accurate. For additional resources and/or to find assistance in your parish, visit LouisianaLawHelp.org.