There are three main kinds of Social Security Benefits: Disability Benefits, Survivors Benefits, and Retirement Benefits.
This library guide is about Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) and SSI (Supplemental Security Income) disability benefits.
This LibGuide will provide:
- basic information about SSDI and SSI disability benefits in Louisiana;
- basic information on the legal process of SSDI and SSI disability benefits; and
- resources for additional information and services.
What this libguide cannot do:
- provide a full and complete guide to SSDI and SSI disability benefits;
- apply for benefits on your behalf; or
- replace the advice of an attorney.
Legal issues with SSDI and SSI disability benefits are common and do not always require a lawyer. Some people can get SSDI and SSI disability benefits without professional assistance. Those not represented by professional legal assistance are often referred to as self-represented litigants.
This libguide is still in development and the information is not guaranteed to be accurate. For additional resources and/or to find assistance in your parish, visit LouisianaLawHelp.org.