Skip to Main Content

Security Deposit Refund Information Guide and Forms -- Steps to Seek Your Refund from Your Landlord

Welcome to the Louisiana Security Deposit Refund Library Guide with Forms

This guide has some basic information about seeking a refund of a security deposit paid when renting a place to live.

There is also a link to a computer program that will let you create form letters for two situations. The first letter tells the landlord that the tenant is moving out, when the tenant (renter) is moving out, and that the tenant is not renewing the lease. The second letter asks the landlord to refund the security deposit and provides an address where the landlord can send the deposit refund.

If you do not know which form or forms you need, try to find a lawyer to help you with your issue.

This guide and forms are not legal advice. You can only get legal advice from a lawyer licensed to practice in your state who agrees to help you with your specific situation.

There are programs that offer free legal help for low-income or other qualified people.  Look for free legal help in your parish here:


Southeast Louisiana Legal Services


Legal Services Corporation  Louisiana Bar Foundation  United Way of Southeast Louisiana  Americorps Louisiana  THE LAW LIBRARY OF LOUISIANA