Skip to Main Content

Immigration to Louisiana and the United States: Green Card/Naturalization

A guide designed to provide legal resources on United States immigration law and various related topics such as naturalization and asylum.

Your Library

If you can't find what you need, we invite you to call us at (504) 310-2400 or toll free (800) 820-3038 (Louisiana only) or email us at If you are seeking legal advice, you can also visit the Find Legal Representation and Advice page.


Haz clic para ver esta página en español/Click here to view this page in Spanish.


  • Permanent Resident (Green) Card and immigrant visas ( The official page of the government of the United States for information on green cards (green cards) including how to obtain and renew them.
  • U.S. Citizenship ( The official website of the United States government for information on how to obtain US citizenship through naturalization, how to prove your US citizenship, and the naturalization test.
  • Catholic Charities Archdiocese of New Orleans (CCANO): Visit their website or call (504) 310-6938 to learn about the services and workshops they offer for immigrants--they offer many, including opportunities to receive legal advice and classes to learn English as a second language.
  • Citizenship and English as a Second Language Workshops (The New Neighbor Project): A New Orleans-based organization that offers workshops to help applicants for citizenship and people who want to learn English as their second language.
  • Citizenship Workshops (Louisiana Organization for Refugees and Immigrants): A Baton Rouge-based organization that offers workshops to help applicants for citizenship improve their chances of being accepted.
  • Green Card for VAWA Self-Petitioner ( The official website of the US Citizenship and Immigration Services for information on how to become a legal permanent resident (get a Green Card) through the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).

Digital Resources

  • Immi (Justicia Lab y ProBono.Net): This page provides information on immigration law, as well as issues and problems related to immigration law, and offers a tool that can help you better understand your legal situation and options.
  • How to renew or replace your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) ( The official website of the United States government for green card renewals which includes the necessary form.
  • Citizenship and Naturalization (Immigrant Legal Resource Center): The ILRC provides practice manuals and digital resources on various immigration-related topics, and this page provides resources on citizenship and naturalization.

Resources at the Library