Skip to Main Content

Asking a Court to Modify (Change) Child Support in Louisiana

Here is basic information about asking a Louisiana state court to modify (change) child support.

Asking a Court to Order Someone to Pay More or Less Money for Child Support -- Information for Librarians and Everyone

Use the tabs on the left to move from page to page of the guide.

This guide is about asking a court to change the amount of child support.

This guide is only for Louisiana. 

This guide and the forms do not cover child support in any other state. 

The guide also has a form from the Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services plus more information about asking a court to change child support. 

Warning: depending on your situation, you may need more forms or different forms. 

If you do not know which form you need or how to use a form, try to find a lawyer to help you with your case.  

If you have a case that is being handled by DCFS/SES, you should have a case worker.

You may want to contact your case worker about changing child support.

State and federal law say that DCFS/SES must help you with changing child support even if you are the one paying the child support.

There are programs that offer free legal help for low-income or other qualified people.  Look for free legal help in your parish here:


Southeast Louisiana Legal Services

Legal Services Corporation  Louisiana Bar Foundation  United Way of Southeast Louisiana  Americorps Louisiana  LAW LIBRARY OF LOUISIANA