Sec. 14:110. - Definitions.
(1) Dog: Any dog that is not within the confines of its owner's home, dog yard, dog pen, primary enclosure or automobile and that is not on a chain or tether which restricts the animal to the confines of its owner's property, nor on a leash no longer than six (6) feet long shall be considered at large.
(2) Cat: Any cat that is not within the confines of its owner's home, cat yard, primary enclosure or in the owner's physical possession.
(3) Exception: Hunting or stock dogs, show dogs and cats, government or law enforcement dogs actively being worked or other animals being worked or shown under the physically present supervision of their owners or agents or employees of owners, and community cats are excepted.
Sec. 14:204. - Owner's responsibility.
(a) Threats to public health and safety. The owner or possessor of any dog shall be held responsible and liable for any and all actions taken by said dog, including but not limited to:
(1) Confining his dog in such a manner so as to prevent escape. All dogs shall be kept, at all times, from running at large.
b) Other provisions. The owner or possessor of any dog or cat shall be held responsible and liable for any and all actions taken by said dog or cat, except community cats, including but not limited to ensuring that:
(1) All cats shall be kept, at all times, from running at large.
Sec. 4-1. - Definitions.
As used in this chapter the following terms mean:
(1) Animal. Any living domestic or wild -creature;
(10) Restraint. An animal shall be deemed to be under restraint if it is securely enclosed in its owner's or custodian's property; or, if it is not enclosed in its owner's or custodian's property, then it is secured by a leash, lead or other means of restraint not harmful or injurious to the animal. Said leash, lead or other means of restraint is to be controlled by a responsible person capable of physically restraining the animal. As an exception, an animal shall be allowed to run without a leash or lead, under the supervision of a responsible person capable of physically restraining the animal, from 5:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. along the lakefront from Ravine Aux Coquille to the west end of the lake.
Sec. 4-2. - Running at large prohibited.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any owner to permit any animal to run at large within the corporate limits of the City of Mandeville and to fail to keep any such animal under restraint as herein defined.
(b) Each instance of the running at large of each such animal shall be and constitute a separate violation of this section and shall be punished as such.
(Ord. of 4-28-77)
Sec. 18-14. - Cats and dogs to be confined, exceptions.
(b) Dogs which are properly licensed and vaccinated as stipulated in this chapter may be allowed outside of an enclosure if under a secure leash and accompanied by their owner or keeper but are not to be allowed to trespass upon any public property, if so prohibited by another ordinance, or upon private property. Designated dog parks or "off-leash" areas are exempt from the provisions of this section. The area of City Park known as NOLA Bark generally bounded by Zachary Taylor Drive, Diagonal Drive, and Magnolia Drive is such an exempted area.